After World War II Front Royal began to grow. American Viscose had built the largest rayon-producing plant in the world. As workers moved in from other states and regions, three new subdivisions were built, one of which was Marlow Heights.
First Baptist Church of Front Royal conceived a church presence in the newly developing neighborhood, and in 1947 a seminary student, Phil Hart, came to lead a two-week Vacation Bible School. VBS led to regular Sunday gatherings in a former sheep barn (that had been cleaned!). Land was donated about a quarter mile from The Barn (as it is affectionately called) and construction began on Marlow Heights Baptist Church.